Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I will be helping a buddy lift his 96 Chevy Z-71 IFS truck over Christmas break. I'm a jeep guy, and have put on my share of lifts, but never any IFS work. I'm thinking it'll be a pain in the butt, but want to help out. My buddy has no experience with lifts, but I'm pretty mechanically inclined (can set R&P, etc.) Will I regret taking on a big IFS lift? Any advice? I had it in the Newbie section, since I'm an IFS newb, but need some real advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
565 Posts
its not hard if you already have some suspension experience.
It's basically just removing the a-arms, mounting a drop bracket, and lowering the torsion bar mounts.

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
I know some IFS lifts require cutting crossmembers, and some are just bolt on. You better research the kit he's got first so you have the correct tools handy.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,343 Posts
These aren't hard. they take forever though. It is usually neccesary to cut the crossmember under the diff (depending how much is cut, you may have to grind the side of the diff)

It is also neccesary to cut the original upper diff mount off and bolt on a new one.

It seems to be easier and faster to install the "tall spindle" kits like RCD or Fabtech. These types also have less camber change as the wheel travels.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Find out what lift kit it is yet? I put on a Pro-Comp 6" lift on my '98 Z71 a few years ago. It took me a week working on it in the evening by myself. It was the first time I did an IFS lift. Really wasn't too bad, just took awhile to get the IFS drop bracket's mounted. The only thing to cut off was the little short diff mount bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts