Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking through petersons the other day and they were installing a Z link coil over system on a superduty. when would you ever want to use a z link system off road? it seems like it would have major pinion movment on up and down travel and cause MEGA binding whne trying to flex. are there any benifits. i'm not planning on building one i just want to understand it more.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I was curious too...I believe its the Skyjacker kit for the Superduties...they installed one on Trucks a few weeks back and I never could understand how that would not be the most shitty designed suspension ever :confused:

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
are you talking about a system with the upper arms going forward toward the bumper and the lower arms going toward the transfer case?

I've heard they are used on some desert trucks because since all links are in tension they can be built lighter.

I still don't get it though, definitely seems like it would bind major in articulation and the caster/pinion angle change is unavoidable. I suspect they're just trying to be different, regardless of whether it's a better different or a worse different.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya its definatly not a suspension desied for off road use. but they were talking about how much flex it has and how they wanted more out of the shocks. just seems like a wast of money to me. unless there is some less obviouse reson to run it. i'v seen custom setups like that in show trucks. but never seen anything like that on the trail.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Probably because of the fact that it is easier to run a set of links from the front...you have to remember that this is an aftermkt kit to replace a leaf sprung frontend...you don't see many of those at all, and offroad performance/flex is not the highest priority for skyjacker when building a suspension.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
it wont bind, it will rotate the axle housing like a mofo. the u joint on the driveshaft will with the massive pinion movement with decent articulation

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
it won't bind during verticle travel, but it will with articulation. when a tire stuffs the caster at that side will lean back, when a tire droops the caster at that side will lean forward = bindage :nuke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts