Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Z71Ton Tahoe

So this is my '00 Tahoe Z71, 5.7 Vortec.

I'm going to use Off Road Design's new SAS kit. I'm robing axles off my very used a beat up K5. It has, or had Dana 60/14blt combo. 4.56s, ARB front, ORD cross over, Ruff Stuff Diff covers on both ends. The rear has a detroit and disc brake conversion with Caddy calipers.
I have a pass drop 241 with JB SYE kit, newer style H2 wheels (painted black) and 37" BFG AT.
My build will not be quite as quick as ORD's UA truck. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985334
However, I will have it done for Blazer Bash '11. http://blazerbash.com/

Let's get this thing started.......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Before Off Road Design's SAS kit came on the market, Chris hooked me up with a then "prototype" kit for feedback. No it wasn't free, but a good deal.
2 weeks after I purchased the ORD kit, I came across another SAS kit by Off Road Direct on CL; new never used. I picked that up to use the shock towers. (the rest off the kit is available for sale)
I'll refer to Off Road Design as ORD and Off Road Direct as "The Other Guy's or TOG."
So here are some pics in comparison.
ORDs:

"The Other Guy's"

I like that TOGs kit comes powder coated, has a cross member and shock towers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had H2s on my K5 and liked them, so I searched for another pair and wanted to paint them black.
Low and behold I went to a local swap meet and found the newer style H2s allready powder coated black! Perfect for 180 bucks! I cleaned them up and gave them a fresh coat of paint.

I found a used set of 37" BFG ATs with about 80% tread left for the price of one new tire! I love Craigslist!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got to cutting away this weekend. Nothing exciting here.
The shock hoops bolt to the upper control arm brackets, so those stay. I'll box them in for a cleaner look

I notched the front cross member to make clearance for the compression of the springs.
I'll box it in as well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What springs? It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture of the ORD kit, looks like the 47 kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
He's been looking for a set of front 2.5" lift blazer springs...... So I will assume it is the kit for the 47" springs

Looks good Dustin :grinpimp: Can't wait to see it done.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I just happen to have a set of 2-1/2" lift prerunner packs. Unfortunately, they're still under my truck at the moment :D

I have another set of regular 2.5's (or maybe 4's?) in my shed tho...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What springs? It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture of the ORD kit, looks like the 47 kit.
I'm going with 2.5"/47"

Brandon and Greg,
I never could get my hands on a used set, so I ordered a new set from 4Wheel Parts. I won a $50 gift card at their 50th anniversary celebration, so That will help offset the cost.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Hell ya dustin.

I will be surprised if you can leave the front crossmember in there. While apples to oranges it was wayyyy in my way with how low I kept the 06.

Cant wait to see this move along:D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Are you moving the axle forward or keeping it in the stock location? I know someone who's using TOG's kit with 6" springs and 38's rub the back of the fenders pretty hard

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Hell ya dustin.

I will be surprised if you can leave the front crossmember in there. While apples to oranges it was wayyyy in my way with how low I kept the 06.

Cant wait to see this move along:D
He'll be fine with the notch. However, coming from a guy who notched his on his leaf build and cut it out and replaced it with a peice of box tube on his link build, I think it's cleaner and simpler to just remove it. That thing is freaking heavy for what you need it to do now.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
He'll be fine with the notch. However, coming from a guy who notched his on his leaf build and cut it out and replaced it with a peice of box tube on his link build, I think it's cleaner and simpler to just remove it. That thing is freaking heavy for what you need it to do now.
Thanks for the input, due to the differences my assumption was certainly speculation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked up the new springs today: 2.5"/47"

I also picked up some trailer shackles from ASH in Phx. I cut them in half and make shock tabs out of them They were a 1.38 a piece made of 1/4" steel. Pretty damn cheep if you ask me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mocking up the front hangers and there looks to be an alignment issue with the bolt holes. It's probable due to the overlap of the boxed frame. Maybe the ORD gents can chime in on what they did to make the holes line up? I'm guessing just give the bottom of the frame a good wacking with a BFH.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm back from vacation and got some work done the last few days.
I scrapped a good pile of dirt and grease off the frame and then powerwashed it for paint.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts