Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am in the process of taking the ZF 5 speed out of an 84ish f250 so we can swap it into a bronco. My issue is the bell housing is intergal and i need to know how to get the clutch line off? like it goes through a hole in the side of the tranny and is captured there. so do i pull the trans back a few inches and take it off or what? thanks for the quick help.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you can pull it back far enough theres a little roll pin to tap out that will bring the line out. Other than that you can get a tool for it I think so you can do it from the outside.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
ZF S5-42 didn't come till 88 as an FYI. The clutch line takes a special tool to release it from the slave cylinder. Most auto parts stores stock the tool.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
slide collar (special tool req'd sometime fingers work on most) on slave in and pull line out frequently will be very difficult to get out cut with wire/bolt cutters

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
NO NO NO
You're all wrong.
I have a Small block 42-s in my bronco, had the clutch line off many times.
No special too required.
Use a small screw driver and push the white collar at the slave mount in towards the slave, the white collar has to collapse 5 or 6 "keepers" and the line will come right off.
I have done many the have never been touched since factory install and some are a little stuck. Use some quick wrench or something to help loosen up the white collar if it seems stuck.
It WILL come apart.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys i saw the little white collar but it would not push in at all. this truck has like a billion miles on it. the clutch line ended up being cracked so it just cut it right at the fitting next to the slave. looks like once i get the tranny out that the line will come off the fitting and i can splice it back together. Now to get the tranny out, because it wont come off the motor to save my soul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts