Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the size/thread of the transmission cooler inlet/outlet fitting on a 97 d-90?

Looking to replace the factory hardline, and want to avoid as many adapters as possible.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
The pipe thread fittings that go into the radiator are 3/8" NPT. Don't completely abandon the hardline, the stresses of the engine movement, etc. are relieved by the hadline at the radiator. Too much stress/weight on the radiartor will break the solder joints.

Why don't you consider cutting the flex line off the existing hardline and replace with new oil resistant tubing and hose clamps?

Peace,
Paul

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I'm doing something super similar to that PT. I've taken a RR transmission cooler, made a bracket to fit it between the wings of the CrewCab. It fits in there with a 1/2 inch spacer perfectly. Will locate it towards the top end of the space between the radiator and the radiator support arms.

I'm going to run it as an engine oil cooler, complete with temp sensor.

I've gotten as far as mounting the cooler, procuring the remote line fitting that goes between the filter and block, and all the hose. Now all I need is some fittings and a bung for the sensor and an oil change. Sound simple? I've been cobbling it together for the past year. Now I'm just getting around to actually installing it.

Just another idea for an alternative use of a transmission cooler.

They are notorious leakers in the RR's, so I would suggest some really good fittings instead of hose clamps. We all know how well the hose clamps on the PS reservoir hold in the fluid. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I had a transmission cooler line come loose at the crimped connection. poured ATF on the exhaust and caused one heck of a smoke screen. I was on the freeway, and emiadetly pulled over. After I came to a complete stop it took anothe 10 second for traffic to pass me. bothe lanes were complete fogged in ATF smoke. I made a call, ha a hose clap and several quarts of atf delivered to me on the side of the road, and was back in action in less than an hour.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Serious One said:

We all know how well the hose clamps on the PS reservoir hold in the fluid. :flipoff2:
Not to hijack, but has anyone replaced the PS Reservoir with a different/ more effective design? Just curious as one of my hoses finally started to leak. It was bound to happen trying to turn the 35's. Plus it is a Land Rover after all!;)

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
lwg said:

Not to hijack, but has anyone replaced the PS Reservoir with a different/ more effective design? Just curious as one of my hoses finally started to leak. It was bound to happen trying to turn the 35's. Plus it is a Land Rover after all!;)
It isnn't the reservoir that has failed in my experience. It seems to be a combinationn of cheap hose and cheaper clamps. Replacing with Gates LOLA+ hose and good staiinless clamps solves many ills. I've been able to fix the vast majority of PS leaks just by replalcing the low pressure ehoses and clamps. It is very rare that I've ad to replace the high pressure llines.

Jeff-You're lucky you got it shutdown before it caught fire! Many BAD stories of that happening.

Mike-I believe that Vin is asking about the fittings into the radiator and not the outboard cooler that hangs out in front of the radiator/A/C condenser. I can't wait to see that truck of yours.

Peace,
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts