Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed this back from a waaaay out 49 out of auburn back to sacramento down little back roads and down the highway. I was really impressed with how the ZJ did all around. A few bumps on the highway had me pucker but all in all it went very well.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone wants to know if a ZJ can tow ;)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
is it just me or is there a lot of tounge weight on that? i see a lot of people here towing their massive boats with grand cherokees and land rovers

wes

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, I loaded it on a hill and yes I kinda messed up. Still drove fine but your right..

·
Registered
489 Posts
I used to tow with a ZJ too. It was ok, as long as you didn't have to do any of the following:

tow up a long hill
tow fast
pass an idiot
slow down
make a fast turn
make an abrupt turn
stop
deal with wind
deal with rain
deal with snow
deal with ice
deal with any kind of adverse condition
need a transmission to last more than 15k miles

Other than that, the v8 ZJ's tow suprisingly well. I used it to pull to moab and back a half dozen times and it did ok--60-65 mph most of the way but pretty wound out (OD off of course). But the first time you have to swerve to miss a deer or something, you'll go out and get a real tow rig.

Cody

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it is not a real tow rig but I have towed 3 different vehicles (two scouts and a bug) in the last three days with a borrowed trailer. I wish I had a better rig but it is nice "gettin by".

I actually stopped pretty quick at a red light tonight with a loaded scout (with engine and drivetrain etc not like the pic above). I was quite impressed.

·
Registered
489 Posts
don't get me wrong, the ZJ will impress the shit out of most people--especially considering it's size. But how long do you think those rotors/brakes will last having to stop a trailer? Or the tranny? Or the drivetrain? The up keep on a ZJ that has to pull a load regularly is pretty high.

It'll work if it's all you have for the time being, but a ZJ tow rig is at best a temporary solution. I say buy the ZJ, drive it for a bit till you can afford a real tow rig, then chop the un-holy shit out of it take it wheelin.

Cody

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Wow Brandon, that looks alot like my ZJ. I have a 98' 4.0L/42 re auto/np242/dana 30/dana 35/stock tires and plan to flat tow this behind it:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269047

My ZJ is my dd and I just had the tranny rebuilt after I tried wheeling it and sank it in the Eel River in the Redwoods. I just plan when I want to wheel the CJ, so maybe once a month or every 6 weeks or so. I have a 3 yr/30K miles warranty on the tranny rebuild so why not right? Will it be o.k.? I really don't have room to get a trailer and store it etc.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I think that would be one scary ride towing that CJ with no trailer brakes or anything to help you out. I bet you would get pushed around quite a bit trying to tow that. But, thats just my opinion...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts