Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! In general this project has mixed reviews cuz the electric car peoples don't understand building a car to dent and drive off road, and the four wheelers think that I'm a tree hugger (which I am definitely not). But it's been fun and I drive it every day.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It drives similar to a gas car. It has a ton of torque. The torque starts instantly at a low rpm. and tappers off at high RPM.

The pros. There is no idle so you can leave the clutch out in gear and use your left foot on the brake on steep hills. I can adjust the amount the engine brakes when I let off the gas when I come down steep hills.

I really can't think of any cons. I can't hear the motor spin so using the motor and slipping the clutch to hold the car on the hill is a little difficult since the motor has so much torque.
It's been fun. Everyone want a ride and they all laugh when they do...

·
blatant asshole
12,088 Posts
So since it doesnt have a idle speed how does it feel when youre braking at low speed? Is it all throttle pedal and when you lift it just naturaly stop?

Motor on a rehostat and feather clutch and brake?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normally regeneration braking is done with the brake pedal. It you watch my videos you'll see the brake pedal has another pedal behind it. I put 2" of slop in the brake pedal and first two inches is all regen braking. Then it activates the regular brakes.

I also have a switch to by pass the brake pedal and make the regen activate when I release the gas pedal. The amount is adjusted by a knob in dash.

I either mode I can lock up the tires. I really only need the the real brakes to hold car when stopped and when stopping fast as regen brakin only affects the rear wheels...

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
That's awesome. I'm glad there are people out there smarter than me to come up with cool ass stuff like this.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shoot I can hear the bubbles in my wore out steering stabilizer!��

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instrument console

I am using an android table to replace my instrument cluster on the ZookEV the electric samurai. It uses blue tooth to connect to my Clean Power meter using the Torque Pro OBD2 App!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
That's super cool :smokin:

I have a buddy who does this type of stuff for a living (for mining vehicles mostly) and he's a Zuk guy too. He's been talking about doing this for year, just never has had time to put it all together.

Well done man. Keep the pics and vids coming :beer:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New bumper and LEDs. Almost completely LED.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I have a warn M6000 to install. Deciding if I want to build a bumper like my gas car has or buy one... I have a DC 96v to 13.7v converter to a 12 volt battery. I'll hook the winch to the battery.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ZookEV trip to the 2017 Cal4wheel Sierra Trek. The video was filmed by my 13 year old son on the Outer Limits trail led by my club, the Grass Valley 4-wheelers. I believe this is the first electric car that participated with the Sierra Trek or Cal4wheel for that mater. It also won the Best in Show at the car Show. Thanks for the votes!

Music is the Sons Of Men from Sacramento which I play lead Guitar in.

https://youtu.be/Xj4yRWbUF6c

1 - 20 of 30 Posts