Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the advice. So question for you. You are basically building your rig from scratch, why not go with a different engine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Thanks for the advice. So question for you. You are basically building your rig from scratch, why not go with a different engine?
I loved the motor from my last buggy, this one has a cam and bigger blower. They're compact and torquey just heavy. I had a 6.0 LS in my Jeep, and its a slippery slope. You start needing a bigger fuel cell, radiator, trans, tcase, etc real quick if you dont keep it simple. Plus i like being different.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts

There is a pretty big following with these engines, many people actually prefer them to a v8 for a crawler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dang I'm glad I asked. Really thought about going with a different engine.

I can say I've been really impressed with my 1.6 in my 89SK. I feel like it lacks power up high, mainly on the highway, but it takes a beating and keeps kick a$$

·
Registered
35 Posts
I loved the motor from my last buggy, this one has a cam and bigger blower. They're compact and torquey just heavy. I had a 6.0 LS in my Jeep, and its a slippery slope. You start needing a bigger fuel cell, radiator, trans, tcase, etc real quick if you dont keep it simple. Plus i like being different.
I considered doing a turbo on my 97 sport but I seen someone post a really cheaper super charger that had good reviews. It was nothing like the super chargers I've dealt with so I wasn't sure how I'd hook it up. You like yours?

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Dang I'm glad I asked. Really thought about going with a different engine.

I can say I've been really impressed with my 1.6 in my 89SK. I feel like it lacks power up high, mainly on the highway, but it takes a beating and keeps kick a$$

He's using a supercharged 3800 v6 from a Buick :homer:

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Kind of looks like here in Hawaii, but we aren't supposed to be driving up the streams.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Kind of looks like here in Hawaii, but we aren't supposed to be driving up the streams.
It's illegal to drive through freshwater in Texas too. I was actually surprised they even allowed us to get into the water, but there is no way you could even get vehicle that far into the rainforest. Puerto Rico is definitely gorgeous and the rainforest is worth making a trip to see.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
Nothing noticeable but I tinkered for a bit today. Got all the portal gusset bolts drilled and tapped today, fuel cell mount, Brave Motorsports pcm mount tucked away nicely, and welded in some diff fill plugs. Trying to decide between angle iron to mount a basket over the cell later, or just some flat bar across the top of the cell.

Didn't really like leaving the buggy in the open when going on long trips out of state, so I picked up a used 4 month old 24' V-nose enclosed.

141 - 160 of 284 Posts