Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my whole wheelin "career" ive always though go get a big heavy truck and put some more expensive and bigger axles and drivetrain parts only to end up with one heavy truck that im worried about wheelin because it cost so much.

So recently ive been looking into sammies. They seem like one would be really nice to have as a trail rig. Ive seen some people build some very capable rigs for very little money compared to a jeep or somthing larger.

I like the idea of just being able to wheel the hell of a rig and not being worried about the body. Also from what ive read and seen it seems like a suzuki on 35's can be very capable.
IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUILD A SAMMI FOR AS LITTLE MONEY AS POSSIBLE BUT STILL HAVE IT VERY CAPABLE WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

I really dont want to go 60s because that would be just like a fullsize. 35 or 37's seem like they would be plenty.
Id probaly go with a link style suspension.
DO you all feel you motors have enough power to play in the rocks?
any input would be great.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If I were to do it again on the cheap, I'd go with the 1.3 with EFI, Toyota axles and low xcase gears. Perfect for a trail rig. But I've got something to prove so for me it's Rover V8, Toyota transmission and Volvo Axles.

·
Premium Member
35,606 Posts
I was in the same boat.
Always wheeled trucks, mostly played in mud.

I always wanted a "heep" until I found out more about Zuks.

You can 31's on stock axles with no problems.
33's seem to be the point when stuff starts to break.

31's on a zuk are probably equal to 34 or 35's on a jeep

The normal mod seems to be toy axles and spring swaps.

Check out some of the vendors websites.

Welcome :flipoff2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just made the swap from a fullsize rig to a Sammy. I just picked up a '86 stocker for 900 bucks and have many a plan for it. And the best thing is it fits my Budget. Mke the swap you wont regret it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i was planning on building a pretty wheelable early bronco but now ive started to look into sammies. 6 or 7 k i guess into drivetrain and everything.
brkbronco what are you plans.
Ive seen a few people with some really nice sammi. I think it was a few of the bender. ( is that you fat kid?0

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
Well my whole wheelin "career" ive always though go get a big heavy truck and put some more expensive and bigger axles and drivetrain parts only to end up with one heavy truck that im worried about wheelin because it cost so much.

So recently ive been looking into sammies. They seem like one would be really nice to have as a trail rig. Ive seen some people build some very capable rigs for very little money compared to a jeep or somthing larger.

I like the idea of just being able to wheel the hell of a rig and not being worried about the body. Also from what ive read and seen it seems like a suzuki on 35's can be very capable.
IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUILD A SAMMI FOR AS LITTLE MONEY AS POSSIBLE BUT STILL HAVE IT VERY CAPABLE WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

I really dont want to go 60s because that would be just like a fullsize. 35 or 37's seem like they would be plenty.
Id probaly go with a link style suspension.
DO you all feel you motors have enough power to play in the rocks?
any input would be great.
Link it and throw some rockwells under it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My plans are to just do a low budget build-up. YJ springs, spoa linconlock the rear, lockrite in front, 6pt cage and some 'Kick gears. Then down the road do somemore interesting stuff. But money wise right now what I have planned isnt gonna cost over say... 1500, and I would still have money for beer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for bringin this post back up from the dead.

Im still thinking about going with the sammi.

I cant decide if building something like tim hardys that has a low center of gravity and is simple or something like fatkids oldzuke that more radical.

Ive been reading that people run 38+ on d44 or toy axles. How does this hold up?

·
Registered
283 Posts
yea, i have 2 guys that i know that run toy trucks... ones a normal pickup, and 1 4 runner. they run 38 tsl bias ply and 37 ssr's...

i have 33's on my sami... w/ 6 or 7k you can have a hellova rig!!!!!!!

good luck

·
Premium Member
35,606 Posts
YES.
Mine is full body with me in it weighs 2600#

Check out the thread about weights.

Rigs under 2000# are a reality.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
Ive been reading that people run 38+ on d44 or toy axles. How does this hold up?
This guy runs 42's (with 1 1/2 lbs of air) on his buggy with a stock Toyota driveline. He even runs stock birfields and had only broken a couple. I guess tire size has a lot to do with the weight too. His rig only weighs about 2100 lbs. It goes like crazy, idling up most things.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
N*A*M said:
If I were to do it again on the cheap, I'd go with the 1.3 with EFI, Toyota axles and low xcase gears. Perfect for a trail rig. But I've got something to prove so for me it's Rover V8, Toyota transmission and Volvo Axles.
You haven't even done it the first time yet:flipoff2:

·
Registered
330 Posts
run with it

just go ahead and do it .....do a spoa and go play with it for a while these are awsome little machines ......

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it.........................

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Stock motor, Stock tranny, 6 to 1 t-case, Toy drive shafts F & R, 5:71's in toy axles, weld rear, lock rite front, power steering out of CJ, SPOA with YJ springs, Cut bady to fit 37's!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts