Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zuki Engine problem (knock in valve train?)

I am posting this for JimmyR here on the board, I think he is afraid of getting flamed (dont know why, go fig :rolleyes: )

Anyhow he has a '91 Zuki (EFI), and the whole EGR system was plugged with carbon (the lil beasty was used as a security truck), so he cleans it all out, replaces the bad EGR valve, and gets it running only to have a knock/ping in the head near #4 cylinder.
I have not been able to get over there to listen/diagnose it myself, He's thinking the timeing may be off one tooth and the valve lash is real bad. Worse case would be the rod bearing (wrist pin end, the crank end was inspected) It also stalls when it comes off idle (give it gas) the reason for thinking its timing.

The truck was a basket case, so we did not hear it run befor He bought it.

Does anyone have any sugestions/ideas to try and Diagnose it?

Here is whats been done:
Oil preasure is good
compression is good
crank bearings good
Cam bearing caps tight (they were missing two of the screws off of two caps)

I think there is more that was checked/fixed, but I dont know the details, I hope Jimmy adds to the post. :flipoff2:

Thanks for any help :D

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I lost one of the screws that retains the rocker arm rail - the rod that the rockers mounts too.

This screw knocked one of the rockers off the valve to the spring.
I ran the motor about 5 more miles off road and about 10 on road to get back to the truck. The screw went through the rest of the motor and finished it off (it was old and tired anyway).

I found the screw in the oil pan severely distorted. I keep it in my tool box for a momento. Check those set screws, I tightened them a year earlier when I replaced a head gasket and this still happened. I will put lock tight on any in the future.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Mine was also on the #4. It knocked the rocker off the exhaust valve.
I suspect it also bent the valve, but junked the motor and never checked to see what was still good.
I still have the short block in the front seat of a junker at the farm, and the head is still in the garage collecting dust.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also just purchased a 91 tracker, knock on the motor. I only paid 600 bucks, new top bikini top and decent body shape.

I am going to look at the motor try to find the reason for the knock, but worse case scenario drop a 1.6 16v, I think its the 8v motor in there now. If I run into anything ill let you know.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Silver :smokin:
Yea it was a Rocker rail screw...I was posting from memory about this :shaking:

He did find one of the screws in the oil pan. it was narfed up prety bad as well. I dont think it went thrue the entire oil system, just the drain journles after bouncing around the head for a bit, and then perhaps into the cranks for a quick spin :barf:

marcutah: it must be nice having access to 1.6L engines that easy.....in the Detroit area they are almost non-existant :mad3: Closest one to be found recently was in Ohio. :rolleyes:

JimmyR is probably reading this, so I bet he will look at the valves tonight. thanks :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
:flipoff2: Ain't skeerd, just haven't had the time to dig into that PITA and diagnose it yet. damn kids.
when I initially pulled it apart before putting it in the truck; (got the truck with the engine in the back seat :shaking: ) 2 set screws were missing from the rocker arm shaft keepers. 1 on the #4 exhaust, and one from the #3 intake. I found 1 screw in the pan beat pretty good, the other I never found. I couldn't visually see any damage; no scoring; no pitt's; nothing.
It had a new timming bellt on it so I never checked to see if it was on right :rolleyes: . But the valves all look to be moving corectly.
With a little luck I will pull it apart again one night this week. damn kids.....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Orionn, we seem to have a lot of junkyards, and I know quite a few people with connectiosn out here, I am not sure if a rebuild is in order (500) or a 16v ... will findout this weekend.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BTT...

jimmyroyse said:
:flipoff2: Ain't skeerd, just haven't had the time to dig into that PITA and diagnose it yet. damn kids. .....
Sure sure blame the Kids, I say just let them tear into the thing ...of course it would NEVER run after... :eek:

marcutah:
unfortunatly Jimmy cannot justify another engine, and I dont blame him. with what the yards around here want for a used one (if you can find anything) or the cost of rebuilding, we can get another whole zuki for not much more. And the body may be better to! this thing has gone from rusted to 'lets save the rust so it looks like SOMETHING!" :barf:

Rust-belt cars..........you gatta hate 'em :mad3:

Anyhow, if anyone else has a idea, let me know. I am trying to get him to pull the bottom end down to inspect it.
(cheeper than pulling the head)

thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTT.... still trying to get this resolved

·
Registered
645 Posts
SilverZuk said:
Check those set screws, I tightened them a year earlier when I replaced a head gasket and this still happened. I will put lock tight on any in the future.
Don't be afraid to buy some new ones when working on the head. And for any noobs here (the old farts would flame me for talking down to them), consider washing the oil and such out of the screw holes with something like brake cleaner spray. Let it dry, then use the tougher loc-tite. Used to be 'Stud and Bearing mount', think they call it something else now. Let it dry like overnight before cranking it up.

And be careful to not over-torque the screws! Like my alcoholic Old Mentor usta say (and I don't recommend) "Turn it as far as it will go, then another half turn, but don't strip the threads!" Better to do it the right way. If unsure, use the torque wrench liberally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea dude, I've got a 1.3 in my LWB sami, engines knockin, sounds like a wristpin, I did how ever find one of those screws out but luckly it was still in the top of the engine, how loud of a knock would I expect from valve problems, how can I tell? fired it up after i tighten down the screw and they all looked to be working properly

·
Registered
645 Posts
Dirt-Devil said:
how loud of a knock would I expect from valve problems, how can I tell?
For valves I'd say a 'click' or a 'clatter' but when ya say 'knock' I am thinking a lower tone of noise, prolly from lower down.

Guess we won't know, till you open it up and see, but from just sitting here 'n guessing I'd expect a collapsed or cracked skirt before a wrist pin. Only cuz I know Sammis do this once in a while. My sammi with ~ 200k miles on it the wrist pins and bushings were fine. So I don't see it as a weak link. But whut do I know?

I'd guess you could tighten the valves and find the noise if it were associated with them. Maybe fool around with a stethescope. How many miles on the engine? What kind of miles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
it was rebuilt just over 100 K ago, hyway miles, trips to tofino from victoria alot, bought it from a surfer lol... its not a bottom end its definatly coming from the top some where, its more of a clack, I just said knock, because I didnt know there was much of a difference... also its pushin a bit of blue on start up, it had sat for a year before I bought it, and when it runs it does not run well atall, hard to keep it going, probably something to do with the carb though. the truck came with over 3 grand in receipts for stuff the guy put into it since 2000, and hes the second owner. any weay i should probably take off the oil pan and take a peek, and dink around with the valves a bit, but im much much to busy to do that, gotta get my LJ ready for ZOTR

·
Registered
645 Posts
Dirt-Devil said:
also its pushin a bit of blue on start up
It might be smokin even after that, but maybe the CAt fires off and cleans it up

hard to keep it going, probably something to do with the carb though.
Yeep. Wouldn't surprise me if the idle jet wuz plugged. Sometimes on some engines, no Sammi yet, I pull a plug on the float bowl, make sure it is clean inside there, then pull the idle mixture screw and spray killer carb cleaner in. Even WD40 will sometimes blow something out that was pluggin' the idle jet. Not often.. but it has happened :) Maybe a few tanks laced with carb cleaner will eventually clean it up (I think we have all said that to ourselves at some point in our life, eh?)

and dink around with the valves a bit
Yeah, the valves you can do in a few minutes, after the first time. There are some great shortcut tips you might find with a search. If that didn't help I'd prolly pop that engine out. So much easier to fix stuff with it out. Easy to pull too, 'cept maybe that darn bolt on the starter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts