Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving my 99% stocker samurai for the last two years. Had a u-joint go out and decided to go ahead and put the toy axles under it...

Got the axles under it geared to 4.56 v-6 thirds.

I have never tried a lifted sammi with the 1.3 and never will again..lol
I always had other engines in them. Diesel, gas vw's mostly

Had a 4.3 just rotting away the good part is the turbo 350 thats attached to 4.3 has an advanced adapter chev/toy adapter...Sweet! Cheap!

In one day I had the 1.3 our and the 4.3 in place. Still gotta do the final welding on mtr mounts when I pull the engine.

I will try to post pics with progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started driverside header on 1-12-13 finished 1-12-13 passenger side finished on 1-13-13

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of other pics of her.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Didn't get much done today. Started the floor patching and shifter locating.
The T-case location don't get much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
those headers have to be the silliest looking headers I have ever seen. Why does everyone who puts a 4.3 in a samurai have such a hard time with the exhaust? I have factory manifolds on mine. all I did was change the ends to dump lower.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gasser style...lol. cool thing about the headers all the tubes are within 1.5 inches of each other. stock manifolds kinda suck this is nothing new. Just wait this is going to be a diffrent style sammi.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to clarify on the headers the tubes are from side to side with in 1.5" The actual lengths are about 10% either way. I hope this makes sense.

This is going to be a driver/trail rig leaning way more on the driver part. It's still going to be more than capabile off road. I really dont want to bash this one up like the last one. I've got a buggy for that.
Its going to be a total budjet build within reason.

Could I have gotten away without the Howell wireing stuff? Yes. Did I want to screw with it? NO..lol

Main goal is to have a rig I can drive 800 miles to a mild trail wheel it and drive home. Dependability #1 Neatness #2.

I like driving my Samurai

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
wow, 800 miles to a MILD trail? that's gotta be some kind of boring record.
just kidding. I was wondering if you had to massage the firewall to get that in there. or if you just kept the whole front clip off. my 4.3 fits behind the stock grill and a custom aluminum radiator. I just had to move the steering column over to the left, build in an indention for the distributor, plus the custom tranny tunnel for the t18 and dana18.
. plus, isn't making custom headers from dom tube fun?!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
wanna buy it? it runs good. brand new holly projection fuel system and all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, 800 miles to a MILD trail? that's gotta be some kind of boring record.
just kidding. I was wondering if you had to massage the firewall to get that in there. or if you just kept the whole front clip off. my 4.3 fits behind the stock grill and a custom aluminum radiator. I just had to move the steering column over to the left, build in an indention for the distributor, plus the custom tranny tunnel for the t18 and dana18.
. plus, isn't making custom headers from dom tube fun?!
Me and a couple of buddies are planing to drive our rigs to the Rubicon do it and drive home. Plus this sammi is what I drive 90 % of the time. It really is going to be a mall crawler.

Had to cut a couple of holes in the tunnel but the firewall has remained untouched. I set the engine lower than I think most do. I want it to be at home on the hiway and handle as well as it can.
CREW tube for the headers..lol More pics on the way and some crap news also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a couple pics of the tranny/t-case mount.
Sorry about the crapness of the vertical pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old school bump stop mount.
Driver side motor mount from bottom.
Simple dual shock mount.
Lower rad mount.
Top virw driver motor mount

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Radiator in place about 1/2 inch clearence between water pump and radiator.
Mount for the fan and the fan
What a nice fit.
Top view 5lbs of poo in a 2lb sack.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couple of side views. I think i'm gonna add an add-a-leaf in the front. It's gonna sag for sure.

All in all the swap has gone well so far.

Got the engine pulled back out to do the cleaning and detailing and here is where it gets ugly.
I got this engine from a buddy he pulled it out of a running S-10.. Long story short I'm looking for a earlier 4.3 like a 91-95 tbi version.

The engine is SO gunked up on the inside oh it's horrible. They are cheap enough I will just find another one. The outside of the engine cleaned up amazing!...lol

I saw it run or I would have never belived it.

Kinda sucks now that I have the Howell wireing stuff for the TBI because now I would go with the 200 hp version since I need a new engine.

I could probably clean up the inside of the engine, I just dont think its worth it.

Minor setback, just a mere flesh wound.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would def go with a CPI or even newer 4.3. I run CPI 195hp and I have power to whip donuts with ease. I wouldn't trade it for anything less! Sucks about the wire harness. Try to sell it!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have located a rebuilt 50,000 1996 CPI version locally for 400.00 bucks I'm jumping on it. The guys at Howell are being TOTALLY COOL they are going to exchange all my stuff for the newer wireing. I will just have to pay the diff.:)

Big bad do you run yours on the hiway?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have 38.5s and 4.10 gears. Really sucks driving in high range as it has no power but if I ever put it on the road I would run 35s. It would bring it down closer. Over the summer I will probably cruise in it. Low range in the front stock case is probably 75 percent what I run. I very rarely run 4.7 but I do double low on the tuff stuff and it creeps along with no throttle. Good find on the 4.3!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
200 hp Vortec...OH YEA!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts