45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ChiefSlapaHo said:

I believe that Gil asked you a question... or was that a type-o
i believe he ment "He" was cheap :D not that he could do it cheaper :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
So will the E350 master cylinder I'm using work or do I need to get one for rear discs? I read something about a residual valve causing the rear discs to drag with a stock master cylinder.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you have any pic of the mounting bracket by itself? It looks like it is just bolted to the axle flange.

I'm thinking I might be able to do something similair to my HD20 (6x5.5 lug pattern) using an Isuzu rotor and use the Z car parts for the rest.

BMB

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
withamc: you can retain the master but NOT the proportioning valve. there are 2 routes for this 1) bypass the proportioning valve and use adjustable one (s)
2) remove and use a proportioning valve (and master if it will fit) out of a vehicle with 4 wheel disk (where the disk size/wieght ballance is almost the same,close is usualy good) i am using the master out of a military hummer with its proportioning valve. there were a shit load of full size GM vehicles with 4 wheel disk(caddilac/trucks/ect)

BMB yup thats about it :flipoff2: it bolts to 2 of the axle flange bolts(next time it will attach to 3 just for additional strength) the bracket is not hard at all to make for any caliper. you could also weld it directly to the tube is the spacing required it. i could take pics but it just looks like a hunk of plate steel cut in the shape of the letter "H" :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Doc ive been doin some research and I think there is a difference in Sammi front rotors. What year did you use? Ive read that the 80s ones are thinner than the 90s. Is that right?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
yes as far as i can tell ALL samurai rotors are the same and finding a later than 89 in the states should be amusing :D unless someone inported a Jimny :flipoff2:

mine were ordered for an 85 or 86. they were like $20 from www.jcwhitney.com

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can anyone think of a rotor that's thin enough for the Nissan calipers that has a 5 x 4.5 wheel bolt pattern?

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
Thats a seriously good write up..... Ive already got discs on my 8.8.. But I know a couple people lookin to do discs on thier D44's and it seems as though this is an easy way to do it.
Scott

·
Registered
336 Posts
BMB said:
Randall,
Are you looking to use the disks on a TJ?

BMB
Yeah I'm thinking it might work.
I was gonna use Rubi parking brake assemblies, but they are about $130 for a pair new and you still need rotors, calipers, e-brake cables, hoses, new tubing or modify the old, and new axle retainers. If you replace the axle retainers you need new collars to hold the bearings so you might as well throw in a new set of axle bearings and seals. It starts to add up.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Randall Edge said:
Can anyone think of a rotor that's thin enough for the Nissan calipers that has a 5 x 4.5 wheel bolt pattern?
yes the actual nissan rotors are a 5 lug :flipoff2: and they are eather 5on 4.5 or 5on 5 you might want to check :D

mind you any "thin" (non vented ) rotor that will fit over the axle flange will work. you will just have to adjust caliper spacing acordingly.
if i were you i would just drill the suzuki rotors for 5 on 4.5, that would be the easyest and require little effort :p

·
Registered
336 Posts
usmcdoc14 said:

yes the actual nissan rotors are a 5 lug :flipoff2: and they are eather 5on 4.5 or 5on 5 you might want to check :D
I walked through the local P&P today. I didn't have any tools with me cause I was "at work" :D. I found a couple of nissans, a 240sx and what I think was a 300z. both had the style of calipers from the pic above. I think they were both 4 bolt, but I'll verify that when I go back to pull the parts. I also saw a honda accord with a similar style of caliper.
I found a few cars with the thin rotors that should work, but I didn't measure to be sure they are 5 on 4.5. They looked close though. They were on the rears of eagle visions and plymouth sundances. Probably lots of others out there that would work, but I only looked at cars that already had the rear wheels pulled.

BTW, I looked at the front disk on a sidekick and it looks just like the pic of the sammy disk so it would probably make a good donor if you have 5 on 5.5 .

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
good info to add.

thats exactly how i came up with this swap, a nice sat. armed with 50 bucks, dial caliper, and a tape measure :flipoff2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Randall,
Look at some Maximas. They have had both 4 and 5 lug patterns.

I was at a yard today and didn't measure anything, but there might be a problem on most car type rotors with them clearing the axle flange.

I know a guy that converted to rear disks on his TJ 44 I'll see what he did.

BMB

·
Registered
450 Posts
Isuzu Trooper rear calipers should work with this too.
I'm setting up a 9" with zook rotors, '90 trooper rear calipers, trooper e-brake cables. The bracket I need to build should mount right up to the housing end where the drum backing plate was. Any spacers will be thin if needed.

280Z calipers look similar to the 300Z pics, no 300's in the yard so I couldn't compare directly.

The import section is chok full of rear calipers with intergrated e-brake.

Almost tried out early 90's RX-7 calipers before I found the trooper, one car away from the absoulte far end of the yard. Looked promising.

Funds ran dry with only about half the parts and materials purchased.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Randall,
This is what he sent me.
Complete ZJ rear disc assemble (even the emergency brake cables). Then use the retaining plate from a Rubicon on the axle shaft, which require one to remove the bearing and retainer then press new ones on.

Static XJ
I'm setting the Isuzu rotors and calipers on the back of Waggy 6 lug axle and it looks like it will work very well. Already made the brackets and the spacers look to be 3/8".

The hat size on a lot of the car rotors I see looks like they are too small to work on truck axles, even if the flange is turned down.

BMB

·
Registered
450 Posts
BMB said:

The hat size on a lot of the car rotors I see looks like they are too small to work on truck axles, even if the flange is turned down.

BMB
The flanges on my shafts are just a tad too large to fit in the zook rotors. Turning them down 1/4" should be plenty. The zook rotors have a larger diameter hat than the troopers. It's just under 7" inside the zook hat. But that's 5 lug, not sure if it's even possible to drill them for your 6 lug pattern.

21 - 40 of 232 Posts