Pirate 4x4 banner
41 - 60 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
BMB said:
Randall,
This is what he sent me.
Complete ZJ rear disc assemble (even the emergency brake cables). Then use the retaining plate from a Rubicon on the axle shaft, which require one to remove the bearing and retainer then press new ones on.
I was gonna go with some junkyard ZJ brakes, until I found out the Rubi parking brake assy is only $65 per side and comes with the backing plate and caliper mount riveted together and already has the parking brake and springs installed.
The import calipers just seem to be a lot simpler and cheaper. You also get a real parking brake that actually holds unlike the stock one I have now or even the ZJ/Rubicon setup. I did some pricing at the P&P the other day and it looks like I can get everything I need for about $65. :smokin:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just measured the step on the axle flange that centers the rotor, on my AMC 20 its 4-1/8” and on my Dana 44 its 3”. How important is it that the step centers the rotor? I'd like to do this to the Dana. Do you think the lugs alone would work to center the rortor or even be safe?

Called Auto Zone,
New rotors #44.99 ea.
New loader calipers $153.99 pr. $93.00 core(no brackets or hoses)

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Snatch Block said:
Arn't Zook bolt patterns like a CJ, 5x5.5 :confused:
depends on the Zook :p

samurai is 5 on 5.5 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
513 Posts
What's the diameter?

What's the diameter of those rotors? I may do that set up on my Waggy rear axle with some Chevy truck rotors.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Commando7 said:
Is the e brake still working?
yes E-brake is part of the caliper ,if you look at the pics you will see the cable i made that goes from the original e-brake "tree"

Jeeptoy91: the chevy rotors are too thick for those calipers. the nissan calipers are made for a "thin" rotor. if you want to use "thick" vented rotors like what is on the front of any 3/4 ton truck you have to use a "thick" caliper. your choices are caddilac rear calipers (pricy and the built in e-brake is lacking) or use chevy front calipers (cheap and easy) but you will need another form of e-brake.
my dana 60 uses thick rotors and chevy front calipers using THESE brakets

they are cheap ($15.95) and look sweet :flipoff2: they are made for GM calipers and are a simple weld on job. my e-brake will be on the transfer case output

·
Registered
513 Posts
6 lug thin rotors?

Are there any thin 6 lug rotors I can use on the rear of my waggy axles?

I have ZJ rear brakes now on my Xj rear axle but I am swapping in Waggy axles front and rear.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
if there is space redrill the zuki rotors (maybe) i believe that isuzu trooper rears were 6 lug with disk, and i believe they were dana 44's :flipoff2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I see the e-brake cable hangs low? This would definitely be a problem on a spring over. How about clocking the caliber forward 45 degrees and mounting the e-brake cable sleeve to the arm and the cable to the fixed bracket? You would have to unbolt the caliber to bleed the system though. Just an idea.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
CuzWeCan said:
I see the e-brake cable hangs low? This would definitely be a problem on a spring over. How about clocking the caliber forward 45 degrees and mounting the e-brake cable sleeve to the arm and the cable to the fixed bracket? You would have to unbolt the caliber to bleed the system though. Just an idea.
i noticed this when i made it and there is another option that is easier :D just make it so it go the other way its mounted.ie: the cable housing is attached to the e-brake lever and the cable itself attached to the stationary mount :flipoff2:
the e-brake doesnt care how its "squeezed" as long as it is

i was just to lazy :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Finding some thin 6 lug rotors

All I need to do now is find me some thin 6 lug rotors. I think some of the newer Chevy trucks might work. It seems they have rear disks on some models.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: Finding some thin 6 lug rotors

Jeeptoy91 said:
All I need to do now is find me some thin 6 lug rotors. I think some of the newer Chevy trucks might work. It seems they have rear disks on some models.
Good luck on that. I'm not sure if the trucks use thin or not. Isuzu Rodeo's came with Dana 44 rears with rear disk, but they use thick rotors with drum style parking brakes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks

I really want to use the Nissan calipers with the e-brake that way I dont need to have custom spacers on my axle shafts for the Isuzu backing plate and bracket.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
forget what i said in the PM about isuzu then :flipoff2:
i would take the "thin" rotors of your choice and see if they fit over the axle flange first. then see if you can re-drill them. and make "plugs" for the unused holes :D
seriously look around the junkyard at ANYTHING with the lug pattern you need. you might find a vehicle that you can canabilize quite easily

·
Registered
513 Posts
Anybody using Chevy rotors?

I am hoping Chevy had some 6 lug rotors that were solid. Certianly somebody out there knows.

Thanks for your great write up by the way. The Nissan calipers are a great idea.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Gil I am wondering if stock solid axle Toy rotors would work with those Calipers. Got a thickness that they need to be?

Oh wait a second how did I get in here. :flipoff2:

And for those looking for chevy stuff. Toy is 6x5.5"

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Toy solid axle rotors are solid 79-85 trucks and 4Runners
I am not sure of diameter. 11-12" They seem close to that thickness

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fronts?

I assume these are front rotors? Cool. I will check one out at Autozone today. Have they always been 6 lug? I used to drive a 88 but cant remember.

41 - 60 of 232 Posts