Pirate 4x4 banner
61 - 80 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Yup always been 6 lug.

It is the front and it has to be 85 or later. 86 and up are vented rotors.

I am going to try to find one and take it over to usmcdoc14 and see if it will fit with those calipers.

We may be on to something here. I wouldnt mind some super cheap rear disks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Isuzu 91 troopers may work

I had someone post a picture of 1991 Isuzu trooper rear disks. They too are solid and 6 lug. We are getting closer folks! How soon before you can match to the caliper?

·
Registered
297 Posts
nice writeup :beer:

i too am looking into it for the 6 lug d44. so if anyone finds anymore info on this please post :D

thanks
nick

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Doc

Hey Doc,

Need the info...

I am looking for the hole spacing and size for the caliper bolts
Looking for the top hat height for the samurai rotors
Thickness of the samurai rotors

With these three things we can confirm that the Isuzu Rodeo 1991 or Pre-1985 Toyota front rotors will work for the 6 lug application.

·
Registered
291 Posts
your not as close as you think

jeeptoy91, you may not be as close as you think. I am trying the same thing using a bracket almost identicle to this one (except I made mine to get 3 bolts)

the waggy 44s have something none of the 20s do. there is a lip on the back side of the retaining plate to hold the retaining bolts in place while you are putting the nuts on. the lip is about 1/8" wide and tall. that is keeping the bracket off the retaining plate and making a good fit. I don't see any way of putting spacers in between it either, there's jsut not enough room.

I don't know if you can see it but here are some pics. also I am using isuzu calipers and rotors which are 6 lug. they are identicle (outisde appearance) to the Z cars.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=sethpeters&album_id=164833

does anyone know a way around this lip? is there a way to route a spot into the bracket to account for the lip?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: your not as close as you think

GaJeep94YJ said:
there is a lip on the back side of the retaining plate to hold the retaining bolts in place while you are putting the nuts on. the lip is about 1/8" wide and tall. that is keeping the bracket off the retaining plate and making a good fit. I don't see any way of putting spacers in between it either, there's jsut not enough room.
Are you saying the only purpose for the lip is to hold the bolts long enough to get the nuts on? If so grind it off, at least grind enough off so that you can put spacers on the 3 mounting bolts. Add enough spacers so that the bracket clears the lip. I can't see the lip in the pic and neither of my 44's has anything like that so that's the best advice I have.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hmmm...no problem

I might join a 1/8" thick piece of steel plate to a 1/4". The 1/8" piece would set against the axle flange and be adjacent to the 1/4" thick piece of steel. The 1/4" piece would sit against the axle tube and be welded to the 1/8" thich piece. This would replicate the machining for the lip.

The bolts would go through both the 1/4", 1/8" and axle flange. The distance the caliper had to be from the axle flange will determine how to build up the plates or what thickness of material to use in lieu of the 1/4".

·
Registered
513 Posts
Here is what I was considering

This is the bracket I was considering. The intent is to replicate a machined inverted lip in the bracket. The thickness of the materials (plates) used will be driven by where the caliper bracket has to be. I will know this once I mock up the brakes. Any ideas anyone? Sorry the drawing is a little crude.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Randall Edge said:
Looks like over kill. A couple of washers ground flat on one side would do the trick.
no such thing as overkill :flipoff2: actualy it looks good but you souldnt have to weld the two. on mine there was spacers and i "should" have welded the spacers on because i lost them when i replaced the brake pads :rolleyes: well those carefully made spacers became a couple of stacked washers real quick.

·
Registered
513 Posts
They are welded

I noted they would be welded where the two plates meet at the top. I am welding them just so they will be one piece.

·
Registered
513 Posts
TSM's idea

I like TSM's design as well. Some rotors are very shallow in the top hat area and you could actually move the bracket on the outside of the axle flange.

Their kit has an outward mounted bracket and the spacer sits outboard of the bearing retainer plate. This option uses Chevy rotors and calipers but forces us to use the Caddy calipers for e-brakes. Caddy calipers are too costly for me so I am trying to use the lesser expensive Nissan calipers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welding it

When it's all said and done I may just weld my brackets, use Isuzu or Toyota rotors and Nissan Calipers.

Anyone have the bolt spacing or a design for caliper brackets for these Nissan ones?

What I dont know is the diameter of the Monte Carlo front rotors that TSM suggests. If they are 11" then cha ching, I have my desired bolt up option that can be taken from axle to axle.:D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Taped the zook rotors inside hat depth, 1 5/8 ish.

The Trooper I pulled my calipers from had a drop out style rear (no 44). And the e-brake is intergrated into the caliper, not a mini drum style. It was a '90.

I didn't go with the trooper rear rotors because I needed 5 lug, but the hat diameter would have been way too narrow for my axle shafts. Don't know if this would be a problem with 44's or not.
I need to take about a 1/16 off the 9" shaft flange to fit the zook rotors.

The rotors are shallow enough that I should be able to mount the calipers with a bracket between the axle housing and the shaft retainer plate. Going the use the same thickness as the OEM drum plates. Use all 4 bolts, and send the shaft through keeping it sealed up. If that doesn't work, hack the brackets and weld them on.

Got a stack of bills to pay, and barely enough to doo it with. :(

·
Registered
689 Posts
if it helps anybody, Ive owned two Z's, and most first gen 300zx's are 5 on 4.5", only the 84-85 non-turbo had 4 lug. But the older ones are more common in the yards.

Ben

·
Registered
513 Posts
Static Thanks

Thanks for the rotor information. That's awesome. I have purchased some loaded Caddy calipers off e-bay in case my bone yard search finds nothing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Still need that caliper bolt spacing

Can someone with the 300z calipers please measure the bolt spacing on the calipers?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Change of plans

I decided to rotate the tires on the TJ today and while the back tires were off I test fit the '92 Eldorado rotors I picked up for the rear disc conversion. They are thin rotors that have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern and the hat is big enough to fit over the D44 axle flange. The center hole is a little too small to fit over the step in the center of the axle flange, but that can be easily fixed. I grabbed the calipers and mounting brackets from the eldo too. They look like import calipers with built in parking brakes. I've already made the caliper mounts so I'm just about ready to do the swap. I've decided to get some reman calipers and use mine as cores. I just gotta get off my butt and get to the parts store.

61 - 80 of 232 Posts