Pirate 4x4 banner
81 - 100 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok I'm confused then

I talked with the folks at TSM and they said the smaller caddy calipers (80's vintage) works with the following rotors:

"88-99 1/2 light duty 4wd front rotors 1" thick"

These are not solid rotors from what I can see from their website.

"'73-'86 Cherokee model 20 & Dana 44 includes:

brackets, bolts, spacer plates and new 11 9/16" vented rotors"

·
Registered
513 Posts
Nissan Calipers

Just got back from the yard and the Maxima calipers are nicer than the 300Zx because the parking brake cable pulls from the top. The bolt spacing for the mouunt is the same as the z car and the pads appear to be the same. They also have 11" or so solid rotors.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Eldo Calipers

fullygruntled said:

'76-'78 eldo rotors are 1.125" thick. The later model eldos are the thin ones.
Yep, mine are from a '92. I got 'em turned today. Nuther step closer to getting the swap done. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Went to the import auto salvage yesterday...'87 300SX calipers with hoses, '96 Geo Tracker front rotors. The hats clear the '73 D44 axle flange, the lug stud holes on the hats need to be opened up a little (or chamfered) to clear the protruding knurl on the studs (5 on 5.5).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: Isuzu 91 troopers may work

Jeeptoy91 said:
I had someone post a picture of 1991 Isuzu trooper rear disks. They too are solid and 6 lug. We are getting closer folks! How soon before you can match to the caliper?
I saw a '90 or '91 Trooper LS in a yard today and it also had solid rear rotors and 6 lugs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Did you grab the calipers?

Did you grab the calipers off the Isuzu? I like these better than the nissan. Can you grab them for me? I am in Canton, GA. There are none in the local yards up here.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
also early model isuzu amigo's(89-91?) are caliper e-brake, solid rotor, 6 lug. when getting parts for my late model i noticed this.
yet another option :flipoff2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I saw something else that I thought was strange today. I was under the impression that ford explorers used thick vented rotors for their rear disk. I saw one today that had an 8.8 rear with disk, the rotors were the thin style. Might be useful info for someone.

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK I'm looking to put disk brakes on my 9" cheaply, and don't want to use caddy calipers, as I've been warned against them. Instead I want to use lincoln continental calipers. The only problem is the rotors are 5x5 and I need 5x5.5 and apparently there is no room to drill them out to this. I may also want a different bolt pattern on top of that, and don't want to triple drill rotors. So, I believe the continental rotors are 11.5" but I do not know their width. I need then, rotors that would fit those calipers with a 5x5.5 or even 5x4.5 bolt pattern. CJ-7? Nissan? Any ideas?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
you need to pick a bolt pattern and figure out how thick the rotors for those calipers are and then you need to read this thread and you can figure out what will work.
and if the answer isnt here there is a problem

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the bolt spacing. These match the Maxima calipers I picked up. The problem with the Isuzu rotors is the top hat section isnt a large enough diameter to clear the Dana 44 axle flange without grinding the flange 1/8". I was told Nissan Pathfinder rotors may work.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Nissan rotors too much $$$$$

I decided to grind down my flanges. New Isuzu rotors were $27 at autozone. This is what I am picturing for my bracket. The little lip on the back of the axle flange causes me to have to move the bracket back off the flange about 1/8". I will use washers to move it back and then use a section of pipe to locate the caliper.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Re: Nissan rotors too much $$$$$

Jeeptoy91 said:
I decided to grind down my flanges. New Isuzu rotors were $27 at autozone. This is what I am picturing for my bracket. The little lip on the back of the axle flange causes me to have to move the bracket back off the flange about 1/8". I will use washers to move it back and then use a section of pipe to locate the caliper.

nice ,i like it :D
but have you thought of moving it to the front (outside) of the flange? this way yyou have less torsional load on the long bolts. doubt it would make a diffrence but why the hell not :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Outside of flange

That was my original plan but the plate would have to be 1/8" thick max. I had to move outside due to lack of space. It's not as bad as it seems. The section of pipe will be 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Kewl

As it turns out the original plan works. I have 1/4" for the bracket so it will go outside the axle flange. I will add a piece of steel 90 degrees off the bracket that will rest on the flat part of the axle flange so it will resist the torsional load and the bolts wont be in shear.

Here's a pic of the plexiglass mock up with is only 3/16" thick. A corner broke off while drilling the holes. These are Maxima calipers which I like because the fluid line is on the back and the parking brake pulls from the top front. Perfect for my rig.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Nissan rotors too much $$$$$

Jeeptoy91 said:

Have you thought about mounting the caliper bracket between the axle tube and the axleshaft retainer? Then you wouldn't nee a full 1" spacer.

I'm still planning on doing that with my 9", trooper calipers, zook rotors. Put a 3" hole through some steel with a hole saw and grind it out a little so the bearings will clear it. If I need any spacers they will be pretty thin. Won't know for sure until I grind the axleshaft flanges so they fit in the rotors. 1/8" should be plenty.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The pic is the final design

The picture shows the final design. I dont need the spacer because a 1/4" plate will work outside the axle flange as shown.

81 - 100 of 232 Posts