Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it is that time that i do another re-re-re-rebuild on my truck. i havent posted any of the builds i have done on it in the last ten years i have owned it. it started stock, then cut to fit 235's, then spring over, then YJ spring over, then gears/cage/lockers/etc, now i am gonna do a comp cut a 4 link the front with a stretch like the mud racers do. stretch in the front only. gonna add toy axles and maybe even a 4.3 v-6. we will see. i have all winter to build. gonna add a 12k mile marker winch too! here is the start

Attachments

· Registered
1,986 Posts
I just wanted to say that when I decided to go with a chevy 4.3 and different american iron drivetrain, by the time I'm getting done here in a week or so, it'll have cost me 3 times the money I thought it would, and about 4-5 times longer too.

so get ready.

sounds like a great project you're on, good luck on it.
what size tires are you gonna end up on?

· Registered
33 Posts
Suscribed...

So you might be using that 4.3 after all? If you do include a description of your wiring. That's the main reason I didn't try to talk you out of it when I was dropping a new engine in the Yota.

· Registered
4,465 Posts
4.3 wiring="affordable fuel injection" norm uses all factory connecters,there simple,and fairly inexpensive considering how much time it saves...

· Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm gonna try to get some pics of my 4.3's custom made headers I had to build. most people, I think, that do this conversion also do body lifts. I didn't do that on mine, I hate the idea of body lifts, so I had to make headers that exited straight down instead of towards the back. I hadn't seen any like this on the market so I had to make 'em.
I'll post up the pics soon enough. It took about 6-7 'u' shaped mandrel bent 180 degree tubes from summitracing to make each one.
the good part of making your own is this, you can make sure that all bolts and spark plugs have unrestricted access.
also, while it is possible to 'retrieve' the engine wiring harness from the vehicle harness, it's a time consuming pain in the ass. I just bought a harness from painless performance. but I found a source later that was the same thing for $100 cheaper. D'oh!!:shaking:
:D:smokin:

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did a little bit of work today. not much due to Joann being pre-labor. might have us a baby in a day or so. woo hoo!

couple pics:
o=red painted stuff is to be removed

o=look how mud can get into places you can never get cleaned out!!!! the dirt was such a fine powder that when the plasma hit it, it filled the air like baby powder.

o=crappy welds, i know, was in welding school when i did these. however i must have gotten a lil penetration in one spot when i ripped it off, a pice of the frame came with. plan to fishplate the area anyways for strength

o=prepped and ready for plating, had to stop to go to labor and delivery

no baby yet but maybe in the next day or so.

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
didnt get much done this past week cause i spent it in the hospital with my wife and baby. she had it the next day after my last post. got out to the garage today and fiddled a lil with the plasma cutter and made a list of stuff i need to get really started like grinding wheels and a new shielding nozzle for my welder. made the fish plates and rough cut the fenders

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so it has been forever since i have had an update but that is because i havent worked on it. lil jimmy takes up alot of my free time. well i got the hood cut and welded. i still have drivers side to finish. i had to lengthen both sides, forgot about the whole geometry thing. i hate welding japanese steel. it stinks. it burns thru too easy. i got a flanging tool that makes it alot easier. i'd rather weld a lap joint than welding a butt joint. it seems that the passenger side is my trial side because i have made all my mess ups on that side. i rolled in one of the tires that i will be using. yes, i want the front axle that far forward but i want the truck to sit lower than it is at present.

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i know my camera sux ass. more pix

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
been awhile since i have updated

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
more pix. flame away

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok fish plates over seams and plated frame where stuff was cut off and ground down. i think my frame is almost or more than a 1/4" thick

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes oh yes, i am bnack at it. got my link material today: 2"x2" 0.25" wall square toob. and got my drive shaft material: 2.5"x2.5" 0.25" inch wall and the above. got my rear axle spring perches moved in an inch to meet up with yj springs. axle is mounted. made my own spring perches from 3/16"wall 4"x2" toob. will show pix of all once i find my camera. i took it to the garage with me and began to work but misplaced it or piled stuff on top.

tomorrow: tack up front spring mounts on axle, tack links together, prep frame for link mounts, gussets for front axle made and tacked, finish putting together rear axle(install 3rd).

wish i had a wrench monkey or just a motivator. the guy in the basement has plans all weekend so i am without help, oh well.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
todays progress. these links are rated for rockwells so i think i will be good. standard strohs can for size comparison

Attachments

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
23 aug:
there is absolutely no reason why i shouldnt be done before the zu. i will take time off if need be because i deploy soon anyways so it will be my last zu for a while. i have your old tintop too that just needs a motor so i hope to have it done as well for the better half to drive.......
still havent found my camera and i left the wifes on all night and ran the battery down. got link mounts made and tacked on axle. started making extra large jack stands to prop up the front frame so i can move the orange ones. they are in the way of where the links mount to the frame. the links are actually longer than planned but all the better. 45" without the 3" end bushing on the frame end. so yeah should have plenty of flex. might have to go back to using the stock steering linkage for the toy axle cause i think my upper links will be in the way of the drag link. we will see. thats why i am only tacking stuff up right now.

29 aug:
new progress. frame mounts tacked; hood is finish welded, smooth ground and bondo'ed; junk i cut off the frame; note the driveshaft in original position in contrast to how far the axle has been moved forward; not gonna be able to use my header because it will be in way of upper link so i will clean it up and sell it; and lastly the grill i found one morning on my way to work, i will use it to fab up a new grill!

oh yeah: 1st pic, dont do this....not safe but i dont have tall enough jack stands so i could move the others back further to weld on new frame link mounts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.