Pirate 4x4 banner

Wet Willie a 1950 streteched CJ3A willys

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Troop 2865 
#1 · (Edited)
So yep, got into another fun project. I bought a well built Willys CJ3A 1950 that the previous owner did a great job building and stretching.

The specs are

1950 CJ3A ish Willys
One ton axles GM 60 fronta nd 14 bolt rear with 5.38s
LT1 built engine
SM 465 and 203/205 doubler
Rancho 44044's all around
Yota power steering and some other misc fun stuff.
42" TSL's on TR beadlocks

The previous owner did a great job building the rig with some very cool ideas all around and I am planning to not go crazy on the mods but keep on building where he left off. I always loved early MB and CJ's and the plan is to keep it as a fun family wheeler, where the kids can learn to drive stick.

The more immediate plans are to build a belly skid to protect the goodies under the rig that are vulnerable for the type of trails we do, as well as add a rear bench seat. I also want to fix the hood, the rig which was stretched some, but there is a large size gap.

Pics coming soon :)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
here ya go :)

Getting the Jeep was an adventure by itself, it was by the hills in Placerville and the drive to his place was very cool!

I do not think he did much wheeling with it aside form mild runs (minor scrapes here and there).

#5 · (Edited)
Guys, appreciate the input. I need to add a rear seat for the Willys. Any suggestions? I measured a TJ rear seat yesterday and it is about 38" so too wide. I need to remeasure the back of the Willys, but I think it is probably in the 35-36 inch max width? Appreciate the help and ideas, the goal is to seat two adults or children comfortably. Thanks!

#9 ·
Thanks guys! Dustin did a lot of cool work to it, and she is almost trail ready. It was a fair deal, and she still needs some good amount of work so I am comfortable hitting the harder trails. She has great bones for sure :)

I am looking at some threads for ideas on lower belly pan protection, but the priority is to get a rear seat in. I am also on the lookout for a hood I can possibly graft into this one to address the gap (cosmetic, but want to get it done).

Thanks and appreciate all ideas and suggestions :)

#13 ·
Is it street legal? Hows the 5.3 with the sm465? I just bought a 5.3l for my flattie and think I am going to keep my sm420.

I believe we saw this rig last year on the rubicon, I remember it because at a glance it is similar in looks to mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.